Friday, September 25, 2009

Just a Brush

On Wednesday biking home I got hit for the... I actually have lost count. In all but 1 case the car/truck/van hasn't even stopped. The one case where the person stopped, was when I actually got knocked off my bike. Maybe I should act more like a true soccer player and fall down grabbing my leg like it has been tore off. Ok I wouldn't do tha The I have chalked it up to people not stopping because they haven't known they even hit me. I am not sure that is a good thing being that someone driving a car doesn't even know they hit someone but that is what I have guessed is the reason. Though Wednesday night was different. I was going pretty fast in order to get home by 6 so Kari could out to dinner with a friend. I was probably going about 23-24 mph when a white van decided they no longer wanted to wait behind the person turning left and moved right into the lane I was in. I had one of those oh shit moments where I locked up both brakes and started to slide and kind of steer further towards the curb. As I couldn't turn or stop quick enough the van hit my leg closest to it. To be honest I have probably been hit harder by Isaac then the van but that isn;t the point. I of coursed yelled at them but that didn't stop them. After it happened I of course in my adrenaline fueled anger tried to catch the van. In the city this is usually pretty easy because the spped limit is low and there are lots of stop lights for me to catch up to. In this case I started to catch up to the van and they actually sped up. I am sure knowing what they did. At one point going down Chicago Ave I was going close to 35 mph and the van was pulling away from me. I got exhausted before I could catch them at that speed. It is all probably for the better but...it makes me angry that they knew they hit me and took off anyway. What I really need to learn to start taking liscense plate numbers down and just call the cops. In the moment though I can never remember that.

No comments: