Monday, August 20, 2007

Football/Vick

Ok, I will admit it I am a Michael Vick fan. They guy has amazing athletic talent. One of the fastest people I have ever seen in my life. I am not sure he will/can every be an amazing QB but when he takes of running its fun to watch. By no means am I justifying what he did. I am just judging him on pure athleticism. Now with the news coming out today that he is coping a plea to his dog fighting escapades on his property a question should be asked. Do public figures like athletes, who the young look up to, be treated differently then everyone else? For example, should Vick be allowed to play after he pays his due (fines/jail time/etc etc)? His debt to society filled should he get a second chance? I can think of 2 other cases where a football player went to jail and played football again. One is Lewis (I think) who went to jail on some type of drug charge and is still playing in Baltimore. The other is Little (I think) who killed a person while drunk driving. I tend to think that football does a good job of trying to keep its image clean. Unlike baseball that will give Mr. Strawberry like 42 chances to come back from rehab football has the 3 strikes and you are out policy. Should this count as more then one strike against Vick? I tend to think it should. I tend to lean towards the fact that he shouldn't be allowed to play. Yes I would miss his amazing talent but I just think as such a franchise/league wide star he was that he should be held to a slightly different standard then others. Or at least make it very clear to him that this is strike 2.9999 and you so much as don’t throw your jock in the laundry basket you are gone gone gone from football forever and ever….

1 comment:

RS said...

I heard an interview on STL radio with the son of the woman Little killed. He said he was a total jerk, never apologized, then got another DWI a few years later. Maybe some people don't deserve 2nd chances. I'm with you on the pure fun of watching Vick take off downfield.