Thursday, August 2, 2007

Bridge down

I couldnt help but think of this line from the B-Boys when thinking about the bridge "Two towers down but were still in the game"

Well Koogs and I were about 1/2 mile to a mile from the bridge when it went down. We were not on 35W but were on surface roads near by. We did notice that all the stoplights were out but had no idea why. One thing I found strange is that people have somehow forgotten that when lights are not working that they should be treated as a stop sign. I can't imagine what kind of chaos would ensue if something more serious occured. Anyway to this point its hard to believe that only 4 people are dead. It will probably go up but its amazing none the less. What I find wierd in situations like this is how does the death count go down? Don't get me wrong I am happy about. I mean earlier it was 9 now it is 4. Did some people miracously rise from the dead? It is just strange.

Now one other thing I hate about situations like this is people are always looking for someone to blame. Or people have all these crazy ideas of why it happened. One guy at work and I am quoting said "It is the bird poo. It is very acidic and probably corroded away the cement.". Other people saying how they new the bridge was in bad shape because they saw cracking cement on it. If that was true the old Phillies stadium I was at should have collapsed years ago. I actually heard someone say they shouldnt have built the light rail and should have spent that money on roads. I wanted to say hello..if we had train systems like anywhere else in the civilized world there would be a lot less cars on the road and maybe just maybe this bridge full of cars wouldnt have fallen. Or when it fell it would have a had a lot less people on it because they might have been on TRAINS!!!! Anyway I just hate the blame game. Saying that though I can't help but think about the highway bill the republicans in Minnesota blocked last year. It just seems that the first thing to get pinched in any budget is infrastructure. I can't tell you the shape of the St. Paul water treatment plant. Its old. It needs money to upgrade. If bridges don't get money to improve or replace they fall apart or worse fall down. If power infrastructure does not get improved or replaced they fail. It is just common sense. Maybe something positive about this will be budgets that actually spend the money a city needs on its infrastructure..Though more then likely there will be this huge knee jerk reaction to the entire things.

No comments: