Monday, July 23, 2007

My crazy idea...

has been quashed. Ok so remember my crazy idea to keep a fish log? Well..I read B.A.S.S. which is some fishing organization. Ok to be fair it is THE fishing organization. It states that tagging fish for curiosity is not a reason to tag fish. Also they say that tagging fish can actually mess up real scientific studies going on. Ok so I understand where they are coming from. They don't want people willy nilly tagging fish. If done wrong it could harm the fish. The problem is the curiosity statement. I mean isn't science all about curiosity. Wondering what would happen if you but chemical a and chemical b together under certain conditions. Wondering how a grizzly bear can hibernate for the ENTIRE winter. Wondering how a much fish actually move in a small lake. I mean it ultimately is someones curiosity along with hard work etc etc that leads to some great discoveries. Ok so I don't have any predefined reasons for wanting to tag fish but maybe if I kept a fish log I could learn something new. Being that Lake Kugler is fished very very little and is a small lake I could see some trend that hasn't been seen before. Or doesn't show up in big lakes or heavily fished lakes. Anyway I will probably put the idea on hold. Maybe I will call the Minnesota Department of Conservation and have a talk with someone there to see if maybe I could join some state program or get some training in the proper way to tag fish.

Ok now to something completely different. The fun topic of politics...weeee... I saw some chart that has the last 30 or so years on the amount of filibusters per year. It seemed over the last 25ish years that the average number of filibusters were around 40...give or take a few..I'm to lazy to do the math. Now the Republican minority congress has already filibustered 42 times this year as of July 18th. There is still a half a year to go and at this rate we are going to far outpace the maximum number of filibusters in any given year every. Ok so now let me take you back a few years when the Democrats where filibustering. Remember the Nuclear option? Remember how it was all over the news that the Dems were obstructing congress. blah blah blah. Where is the so called "liberal biased" news media now? I mean basically the Republican minority senate is filibustering EVERYTHING. Do we ever see it on the news? What I do like is that the Dems are not going on about changing the laws to help them out. Anyway I find it pretty interesting.

No comments: