Thursday, December 28, 2006

Santa Claus



Drobak, Norway has the great honor of officially being recognized by the national government as the hometown of Santa Claus. With the holiday spirit all around, I had to pay a visit to Old Saint Nic myself. So I hopped on the 541 bus from downtown central station, paid 63 NKroner for my one-way ticket and I was on my way. I was pretty excited about going and had images of many gifts, food and good cheer everywhere. I was particularly excited and interested in visiting the Santa Claus Post Office, which handles as many as 300,000 letters from chidren all around the world, all addressed to Santa Claus.

When I got there, I walked down Main Street (a few blocks long) and noticed the Julhus-the Christmas store open all year long. After purchasing a couple of things for some good little girls and boys, I crossed the street to find the post office and the home of Santa Claus. I was a little disappointed when I entered and found a replica of Santa behind the post office teller window, but was pleased to see many families in line with children scribing their "Dear Santa" letters. I was tempted to write a letter of my own, but then I thought the other kids might think I was weird and selfish and too old, so decided not to. I did take some pictures of my excursion that I hope you will enjoy. Happy Holidays!!

No comments: