Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Tacos

Hmm, I'm not sure how this works yet. I haven't been given the tutorial from Mike and you all know how technically savvy I am (...not). That reminds me, I just saw the movie "Borat" the other night. What a hoot. If you haven't seen it yet, I would recommend, but just be prepared to sink into your seat a little when he, a Kazakh, encounters various people along his way through America. Okay, so take into consideration that I am terrible about remembering movies, let alone lines in movies, but I am going to make a stab at this. So one of the scenes Borat is meeting with somebody who is teaching him how to give a speech. The guy tells him that it's a good idea to open up with a joke. One of the jokes he recommends is to say something wrong, and then follow it up with a "not". Just like I did at the beginning of this entry. Okay, stupid story. Just go see the movie. My real entry...

Ja, I am in Norway, actually in the hubbub of Oslo--Grunerlokka to be exact, well, that's where my apartment is. I am told it's a trendy little area, an "up and coming" neighborhood. I can't comment on the trendy part, but I do know that within 5 minutes of my apartment I have a 7 Eleven, a Deli de luca (convenience store/bakery), two veggie stands, two cheap grocery stores (Kiwi mini pris and RIMI) and a nicer grocery store (ICA). Can you tell my existence is all about food? Last night I made tacos for dinner. Yummy! But being a vegetarian, you might ask what I put in the middle of my tacos. Good question. Given that I am in a new country with new grocery aisles and choices, it was difficult to decide, because my traditional "Morningstar" meatless crumblers were no where to be found here (yet!). So I first went to Kiwi (the cheaper of the grocery stores), but couldn't find any to serve as a filler...so I went to ICA (the more expensive grocery store) and located the aisle with canned vegetables; I figured pinto or black beans would suffice. Well not knowing any Norwegian, I spent a considerable amount of time distinguishing between kidney beans (rodo bonner) and baked beans. Then it took me a little bit longer to decide on the brunne bonner, thinking they were black or brown beans (no picture was provided on the can). Much to my satisfaction, when I got home and opened the can, I was happy to find out that indeed, I had picked pinto beans. The tacos were a yummy and a delectable success. I'll have to make those again.

1 comment: